Monday 27 July 2009

Suits you sir!

Are companies being "tucked up" with ill-fitting software?

When I took a post-graduate diploma in Software Engineering in 1984 I was fascinated by the way the flows of information within a company were analysed to produce a model for software development. This was in the days when most enterprise software was bespoke, designed and built to fit the aforementioned analysis. I immediately questioned why this analysis couldn’t be used to highlight areas of duplication and wastage and thence to find ways to improve the company’s efficiency and reduce their cost base. Then, and only then, could you apply the judicious use of technology to achieve cost savings and productivity gains. This approach just met with blank looks from my tutors, they couldn’t conceive of their role as being to offer advice on how to run a business.

Fast forward to 1999 and I was offered a job as a consultant in a global IT company. At that time I was advising two of the world’s largest publishing companies on the use of internet technology within their companies. I was identified as a consultant working in an area the IT company wanted to get into and so I was approached. My perception of them as a hardware and software company led me to challenge them on how meaningful my contribution could be. To my concern that I did not want to be a proxy salesman for their hardware and software the response was, “You won’t be doing that. Your role will be to analyse a company’s process and information flows and advise them on the best use of technology to improve productivity and increase efficiency within that company. That technology doesn’t have to be ours, your role will be to identify the best tools for the job, which may or may not be our tools.”

Although I was sceptical about the latter half of this assurance I was heartened by the first half. Wasn’t this just what I had been trying to impress upon my tutors more than a decade ago? It would appear that, while I was busily engaged in helping companies take advantage of the dot com boom (a boom I could see was over), consulting had grown from a simple time and motion study to a process destined to take a far more proactive role in reshaping companies, just as I had identified it should all those years ago.

Another decade on and we have come full circle but not where we should be, helping companies to improve efficiency and productivity. The reason is that software has moved from a bespoke model to an off-the-peg model, where companies are asked to accept an-off-the shelf package as the answer to their needs. This is done by forcing the company to change to fit the software, a not-so-neat reversal of the paradigm my tutors were using two decades ago.

Analysis of the company’s information flows and requirements has degenerated into a simple measurement exercise, just like buying an off-the-peg suit. Sir measures 39 inches on the chest, 33 inches at the waist and has an inside leg measurement of 31.5 inches. This 40/34/32 suit will therefore be the one that fits you. Maybe a little shortening of the trousers and if you just let me stand behind you and hold in the jacket at the waist you can see how it suits you. Don’t worry, the sleeves will ride up with wear.

No real consultancy is taking place, the “consultancy” firms are merely implementing software packages, forcing the customer to fit the design of that package, nipping and tucking here and there to make the fit appear right. Sadly it never is right and the result is a costly exercise that fails to deliver the promised process and productivity improvements. Suits you sir? I don't think so.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to contrast this trend with another influential initiative. Services Oriented Architecture starts with an optimised business process model and then individually sources discrete business services required to implement that model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think SOA is going in the right direction. Sadly I've seen more lip service paid to SOA than real innovation or even application of the principles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Business Process Modelling also professes to do the other half of this but, once again, my experience is that observance is only paid in the breech to justify conclusions already decided upon.

    ReplyDelete